Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Last night was the SIS trip to the Globe Theater to see A Midsummer Night's dream. I didn't know what to expect since I have never read the play and the theater is built to the orginial's (1599) specifications. It was very funny and for not using microphones that actors were extremely easy to understand. The theater itself is small and it was packed eventhough it's an open-air theater doing a show in mid-September. That was probably a good thing because it definitely got colder inside when people went out during intermission. The seats are wooden benches and I would definitely recommend handing over the pound it costs to rent a seat cushion. Three hours on a wooden bench during a show is much different than sitting on the bleachers suring a sporting event.

Some of us ate dinner at the Prince something-something pub. I got the Chicken Chasseur special: Chicken with white wine sauce, roasted potatoes, and a vegetable garnish. The vegetable was somesort of squash and definitely the most flavorful part of the meal. Thus far my theory for happy dining in England is to get sandwiches as those are the only meals I've had that haven't disappointed me. I don't know maybe I just use too many spices on my food back home. I am determined to find some sort of hot meal in this country that I enjoy though. I have another field trip tomorrow that includes eating lunch at a local pub. We will see how that goes.

London at night, quite opposite the food I've had there, is amazing! All of the buildings are lit with different colored lights and stand-out beautifully against the skyline. I'm definitely going to have to go back when I have time to take some pictures. Westminister Abbey and the House of Parliament are right down the road from the Globe and across the River Thames is St. Paul's Cathedral. We were able to see them all lit up along with the Tower and Millenium bridges as our Coach negotiated its way out of the city. I wish I had been able to take some decent pictures but snapshots from a bus at night tend to not come out. Oh well, I'll be sure to get some next time I'm in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment