Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Intro to NYS Wine Country: Cayuga Wine Trail

On my way home from Ithaca, I had to drive from the southern tip of Cayuga Lake to the north end in order to hop on I-90. It a beautiful day out and I'd never been to any of the Finger Lakes wineries so I took the more scenic route along the Cayuga Wine Trail.  Before I reached the wineries I stopped off at Taughannock Falls.  Pictures of this waterfall are all over brochures for attractions in the area and I was driving right passed it so after nearly hitting a couple of deer I stopped off for a breather and some scenery.  Looking up at a waterfall in excess of 200ft tall is awe-inspiring in it's own right.  Add in the fact that you're at the bottom of a 500ft chasm that dwarfs not only you but the waterfall and you're reminded pretty quickly of how big the world is.

Taughannock Falls
After a few pictures, I was ready for a different kind of scenery involving bunches of grapes.  I think I passed a sign for a different vineyard or winery every other mile before settling on two neighboring lake-front wineries. Both Cayuga Ridge Estate Winery and Thirsty Owl Winery boast many award-winning white wines and picturesque locations.  Going to a winery to do wine tasting is definitely the best deal. Two dollars buys you 5 samples of wine off of a description sheet. At Thirsty Owl, they gave you the two dollars back in the form of a coupon.  Wandering the shade of rows of grapes between vineyards and looking out to the lake I can understand why wine tours are so popular.  The wine doesn't hurt the cause either. I will definitely be exploring more of NYS wine country.  Anybody want to come with me?


Cayuga Ridge tasting room

Ready for harvesting

Thirsty Owl wine room

View of Cayuga Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment