Sunday, December 14, 2008

One full term and 100 days

Last Group Photo of SIS 08

I am finally done with my autumn term here at Sussex Uni. For those of you keeping score at home, I have also completed 100 days of my school year abroad which puts me just past the one-third mark. I'm not sure how I got to this point. I know that I got up and went to all of my classes. I stayed up and finished all of my work. And now that's it's over I'm looking back and vaguely wondering where all the time went. Everyone from the September program has returned to the their home countries now and only two out of the seventy will be returning. The last couple weeks, from Thanksgiving to when everyone left, were probably the hardest for me. Everyone around me was looking forward to going home to their families and a common mantra was "I've had a lot of fun but it's time to go home." At that point I was looking at a stack of assignments that meant the end of the term but not the end of the class and a calendar that told me I would be spending my first Christmas without my family. Needless to say I found it very hard to be positive about staying when so many people around me were finishing their classes and preparing to go home. Through the ups and downs and wishing I was going to be home for Christmas, I knew that my time wasn't finished in England and if I stopped now I'd regret it for the rest of my life.

In a way, that stubborn voice inside of me has already been proved right. In the last week before everyone had to go, several people started telling me that I was lucky that I was staying and that they wished they could too. I have no idea what's going to happen next term but I know I'll make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment