Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Proper Sunday Roast

After my less-than-delicious first encounter with a traditional English Sunday Roast I was very skeptical as to why someone would have such a dry, bland meal every week. My friend Jennie, who is quickly becoming my English culture tutor, thankfully decided to correct my interpretation of the Sunday Roast and asked her boyfriend, Paul, to prepare one for us.

As it turns out, Paul is a fantastic cook and made us an excellent pork Sunday Roast. We had roast pork, sage and onion stuffing, gravy, roasted potatoes, honeyed carrots, broccoli and baby corn, and a strudel for dessert. It was all fantastic. One traditional thing that we didn't have was Yorkshire pudding, a kind of bready box that held the roast chicken in the last roast I ate. I can't really say that I missed it. Jennie said something about having a Sunday Roast for her birthday. With any luck I'll be invited around for that one too.

One thing I don't understand is the use of the word "pudding" is British English. Sometimes it refers to a type of cakey dessert, sometimes it just means dessert, and sometimes, as in the case of Yorkshire pudding, doesn't refer to anything remotely dessert-like. The treats that Americans would refer to as "pudding" are called "custard" or "mousse," but I've never heard it called "pudding" in any context. I'm going to have to put together a vocabulary list of all the British terms I've run into, especially those related to food.

No comments:

Post a Comment